WA State Legislative Session began January 11, 2021, and much of the activity is being conducted remotely.
The Capitol Campus in Olympia is closed to the public and lobbyists, and legislators and staff will have limited access and be required to follow strict rules. Most of the time, legislators will be working from home.
What does that mean for YOU and for US and being heard?
It means NO EXCUSES!
Since meetings with your legislators, and attending and giving comment at Committee and Bill Hearings will be done remotely, It has never been so easy to be actively involved from home!
We’ve all had months of getting used to this new way of interacting, and if you have managed to avoid Zoom calls and GoTo meetings, it’s time to figure it out!
Here are some tips on how you can be involved.
- Call and email your legislators and set e-meetings. Many legislators have been using Zoom to meet with their constituents during these covid months. Meeting slot times will go fast, so start emailing your requests NOW. (LINK to district finder.)
- Comment on every bill you support or oppose. Check out our Bill page to see the bills we’re supporting or concerned about. You can use the comment function on each bill page, or send direct emails to your legislators. You can sign up to get emails about bills you are following by using the “Get Email Notifications” button on the bill page.
- View important Committee meetings on TVW and then send your thoughts and concerns to your legislators and Committee members. Don’t forget to thank legislators when they are supporting your interests! You can sign up to be emailed notices of meetings for committees you want to follow. Look for the link to “Subscribe to the committee schedule E-mail list” on each committee page. This LINK will bring you to the list of committees.
- Sign up to give remote public comment at Bill Hearings. Instructions for giving: HOUSE REMOTE TESTIMONY. Instructions for giving SENATE REMOTE TESTIMONY.
- Ask us for help and support! The ICWA Board and our Team Leaders and many members would love to help you prepare comments, and even attend Zoom meetings with you and your legislator if you want the support. Just ask! Send us an EMAIL.
- GET FAMILIAR WITH THE WA STATE LEGISLATURE WEBSITE. Spend some time poking around to get comfortable with where to find bills, information about committees, your legislators, and more.
- Check out the LEGISLATIVE INFORMATION CENTER for guidance. The folks who answer the hotline are friendly and helpful!
BILL PAGE AT THE WA STATE LEGISLATURE WEBSITE (send messages to YOUR legislators about a bill)
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES REMOTE BILL TESTIMONY INSTRUCTIONS (once scheduled for a public hearing, get your position and comments to the committee hearing it and recorded on the bill’s official record)
SENATE REMOTE BILL TESTIMONY INSTRUCTIONS (once scheduled for a public hearing, get your position and comments to the committee hearing it and recorded on the bill’s official record)
LEGISLATIVE INFORMATION CENTER (all sorts of information to help you navigate the WA legislative process)